4 February 2011

 1. I feel I need to give a shout out to my mom friends. This week I was very aware of how nice it is to have people who reassure you that you're normal...even amidst the occasional unavoidable chaos. Two specific moments this week:

ONE: After last week's five, I got an email from my a friend who also has three kids pretty close together in age. Her email subject was “Hurray for couch trampolines!” and basically said that I made her day by letting my kids use my couch cushions for creative play. Believe me, I know rules are different at everyone's house...but my mom let us jump on our couch cushions when we were little and we still grew up to take care of and appreciate the things we have, and I have no doubts that my kids will too.   Thanks, Tracy, you made MY day!  I needed that.

TWO:  I ran into another friend in Target around 8:00 on Tuesday night.  She casually asked what I was up to.  I told her I was searching for a great lotion for my cracked hands...which wasn't a lie...that is what I was doing at that exact moment.  But then I laughed and confessed that it had been a super long day and told her I needed a Target run so that E could put the kids to sleep.  She laughed and then said she was doing the same!  She was on her way home from work, though, so I know she was only trying to make me feel better, but I still appreciate it.  Thanks, Jodi!

So I guess what I'm sayin' is...remind another mom {or dad!} that they are in fact normal and sane, even though sometimes it doesn't feel like it!

2.  Tate has never loved writing.   This is getting better, but last week we picked up his make-up work to do when he was sick, I wasn't too happy when I saw the packet he had started at school.  The handwriting was horrible.  Now, I am not one of those people who is going to go overboard with hours and hours of work and push my kids to be the point of hating me, but I expect them to try hard and do what I know they are able to do, which I don't think he is doing right now.  I made him erase and redo the packet and talked to him about showing his teacher what he can do.  He promised on Monday that he would try.  He came home with this on Groundhog's Day and I was MUCH happier!

Photobucket

Now, let's not comment on the fact that he made the groundhog into a serial killer.  Let's focus on the legible handwriting.  I will never understand first grade boys thinking...especially when they have each other for encouragement at school.   Seriously.  Poor groundhog.

3.  Speaking of Groundhog Day, I know I already posted this to Facebook, but since getting this blog printed into a book is as close to a scrapbook as I'm going to get these days, its worth telling again...

When E got home on Wednesday Avery yells, "DAD!  MRS. MONSON SAID THE BEAVER DIDN'T SEE HIS SHADOW!!"

Crack.  Me.  Up.  So close, Aves, but not quite.  Don't worry Emily, we're sure you said groundhog, but it got lost in translation.  I did get a kick out of wishing everyone from that point on "Happy Beaver Day!"

4.  This brings me to another thing I've been thinking about a lot.  It is a shame that when you're kids are the funniest that they get embarrassed and get mad that you laugh.  "Stop LAUGHING at me!!" We try to no avail to assure them that we LOVE them and what they said and that's why we're laughing.   They have no idea that someday they will WISH someone thought they were that funny! 

5.  I got to spend a bunch of time this week with my friend Mel and her baby, Lincoln, on two different days!  Now that the stomach flu plague is over at my house, I am allowed in their house.  =) You may remember from a previous post when I asked you to pray for them that Linc has had a rough start to life.
Photobucket

He is such a beautiful baby and I was SO encouraged to see him and all the things he can do and to see him interact with his mom and dad.  He LOVES his momma's voice.  I even got to see him wear his little hand splints and do his stretching exercises.

Photobucket

Melanie and Derek are still updating their CaringBridge site, so you can catch his entire story there.  Their days are still filled with lots of doctor appointment and apprehension about his future.  Leave them some encouragement...they are awaiting some test results.  They are so much stronger than they realize!

No comments:

Post a Comment